Friday, February 22, 2013

Nail Care + How to Make Cuticle Oil

I stumbled across a video today that was all about how to make your own cuticle oil. When it got to the ingredients I was very happy that I had everything. The only thing I did not have was a bottle. I looked every where to find something that may work, then it hit me... I have a nearly empty bottle of base coat that I can clean and use!!
I emptied out what was left into the new bottle my new bottle of Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails base coat and started the cleaning. I put 100% pure acetone into it, shook it up, dumped it out, and rinsed it. I then took cotton balls and q-tips to clean the cap and the rim. I dipped the brush in acetone and rubbed it till there was no polish left. I rinsed it with soapy water, went back and got anything that still smelled like nail polish again, rinsed and soaked again, till I knew it was clean.
Now onto the oil inspired by YummyNails!

Ingredients:
EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
Essential Scented Oil of your choice (I have lavender oil)
Lemon Juice

Step 1. Fill most of your container with the EVOO. (I didn't have olive oil much left, that's why my finished product isn't all the way full)
Step 2. Add your essential oil, about 10 drops, till you reach your desired scent.
Step 3. Add about 10 drops of lemon juice. This helps stimulate nail growth!
Step 4. Shake it all up.





That's all! Simple, quick, and it works great!
I added butterflies to the bottle as decoration. I have this book of sample wallpaper so I cut out some tiny butterflies. I have also made a little vase using this idea. This technique is inspired by KlairedeLysdotcom.
If you would like other recipes that target different things, I found this great website called Natural Nail Care Recipes.

Next up, what I use for nail and hand care.

Cuticle oils. From the left: Sally Hansen Vitamin E Nail & Cuticle Oil, my homemade oil, and Sally Hansen Dry Kwik. The Dry Kwik is put on after you paint your nails, it helps the dry time and is made with mineral oil that you can rub into your cuticles after the polish dries.

My go to base coat, Sally Hansen Hard as Nails. I also use the Palladio Green Tea Nail Fortifier to fill in ridges and strengthen my nails. I put it on under my base coat.

I haven't used this in a while, it smells kinda weird. When I do use it for a week, it works!

These are my two favorite hand/body lotions right now. They absorb quickly and smell so good! The tall one is In Bloom by Reese Witherspoon. I have the body wash and perfume that go with it. I got them in a silent auction basket! The second one is Bath and Body Works White Tea and Ginger. I also have the matching body wash and fragrance. 


No comments:

Post a Comment